Soreness in knees, difficulty in walking, went for a run, using elliptical machine for years. Is this serious?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i went for a run for the first time in many years, i knew i was going to be sore the next day but a week has gone by and my knees are really sore, not swollen. the lower inside has pain to the touch similar to a bruise. its difficult to walk and go up stairs. the right knee seems to be a little worse than the left. will this go away after more time? or is it more serious? i am in good shape 6'1" 160lb. i have been suing elliptical machine for years with no problems. i like to exercise but this has made it very difficult this week.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
The stiffness in the knee and soreness of muscles after an unexpected exercise usually subsides in 5-7 days. The persistent pain in your knee joints may be due to mild inflammation of the knee joint capsule.
The mild inflammation of the knee after some activity like workouts mostly subsides by taking antiinflammatory agents and mild pain killers like ibuprofen. In some cases for acute problem muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside are needed after consulting with your orthopaedician.
If still there is no relief then oral steroids and oral lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin are given. Injections - intra- articular are the last options to be considered if all the above measures fail.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your knee- use a knee brace.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your knee will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. calf and hamstring stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist after the acute pain subsides completely.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.