Sore throat, rattle in chest, persisting cough, shortness of breath. Prescribed with Erythroped for chest infection. Symptoms worse

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi I went to the emergency Doctor on Bank Holiday Tuesday with a terrible persistent cough which is keeping me awake most of the night, a rattle in my chest, a very 'snotty' nose a very sore throat and generally feeling unwell, and sorry forgot to mention very short of breath, he advised as I had suspected that I had a chest infection, he prescribed Erythroped 500mg one twice daily, I managed to get 2 tablets taken on Tuesady so in fact I am on my third day now, but feeling no better, cough appears to be worse and shortness of breath certainly worse, when will I start to feel better, should I go back and see my GP or wait for these antibiotics to kick in?
Posted Wed, 27 Jun 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Considering the details you have provided you seem to be taking only half the recommended dosage of erythromycin ( erythroped).
Correct dosage of erythromycin for severe lower respiratory infection is 2-4 gm daily in divided doses every 6 hourly whereas you have been advised only 1 gm daily .
That could be a possible reason for the delayed response( usually by day 3 of antibiotics symptom should start decreasing and not worsen).
Yes, sometimes for minor infections such dosage may be advised especially in pediatric population but if you are suffering from worsening breathlessness then you definitely need to take a second consultation .
Your doctor after clinical check up and X-ray can confirm the severity of the infection and advise further management .
He may or may not consider a change of antibiotic depending on the findings.
So , I would advise you consult your gp as soon as feasible and meanwhile continue with proper dose of the erythromycin .Please do not delay the consultation even if you feel better with change of dosage as its important to get evaluated to rule out complications like pneumonia , bronchiolitis etc in your case.

Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing you a speedy recovery

Follow-up: Sore throat, rattle in chest, persisting cough, shortness of breath. Prescribed with Erythroped for chest infection. Symptoms worse 9 hours later
Thank you for your response, I have telephoned the surgery and have an appointment at 12.10 today
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 25 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.
I appreciate your prompt action and assure that it's in the best interest of your health.
Apart from medications you can try steam inhalations , warm saline throat gargles 2-3 times daily for faste relief from respiratory infections . You may also ask your doctor for the need of breathing exercises in the event of the involvement of lungs.These measures can be taken during any respiratory infections however should always be done after approval of the examining doctor.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.