Sore throat, follicles on scalp, lower neck pain, pain in ear canal. Treatment ?

General Surgeon
I have a sore throat on the left side. I have the follicles on the top of my scalp (left) hurting. My lower neck towards the back on the left side hurts. The pain in my throat seems to effect the left ear canal.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 14 minutes later

It is an infection that involves ear, throat & scalp. As Eustachian tube opens in the posterior part mouth. So infection from throat is involving the left side of neck. It may also cause some pain in the ear also. So culture and sensitivity of throat swab is required to find the type of bacteria & drug effective against them. So consult ENT surgeon for investigation & treatment. He will check if there are nodes that are enlarged.

Are you suffering from diabetes or hypertension.? Diabetes increases the chances of infection.

Overall it means about personal hygiene as well. Keep your self clean at this age.

Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction. Wish you speedy complete recovery at the earliest.
Follow-up: Sore throat, follicles on scalp, lower neck pain, pain in ear canal. Treatment ? 25 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Bajoria. My GP had prescribed Keflex but it has had no impact in the least. He then said I should go to a neurologist but I think your diagnosis is spot on. What would be a more effective antibiotic?
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 2 hours later

Thanks for getting back to me.

As you have already taken antibiotics ,without any positive result.So will still say you must go for culture sensitivity of throat swab to know the exact antibiotic effective for your ailment instead of going for treatment with broad spectrum antibiotics.As irrational use of antibiotics leads to development of resistance.So prescribing antibiotics without proper culture proof is unethical.

Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery.