Sore throat during pregnancy. Also feeling weak, sick and pain when swallowing. Tonsillitis? Harm the baby?

I'm just concerned about my pregnancy cause i'm experiencing a sore throat at the moment. I'm feeling weak and likely about to get sick. I'm having pain when swallowing. Is it some kind of tonsilitis? I'm wondering if its XXXXXXX to the baby? Is there anything I could do about it? I'm 26 weeks pregnant.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You are experiencing sore throat with pain in swallowing.

There is no need to worry, it is not XXXXXXX to get cold or fever during pregnancy. The symptoms of tonsillitis are sore throat, pain with swallowing, fever, headache, abdominal pain, cough, hoarseness, runny nose etc. There is a probability it could be tonsillitis or viral fever too.

If you are feeling weak and sick, you should have a healthy diet. Eating nourishing meals and snacks when you are sick gives you a needed energy boost and powers your immune system in its fight against illness.

You can also use saline nasal drops, two drops each nostril thrice a day. Also hot-mist vaporizer attached to a face mask to which you can add menthol drops will loosen the congestion. Always stay hydrated and drink hot soups, beverages during this time.

You can also use over the counter cold medications like Sudafed. These can be safely used after the first trimester of pregnancy. It can taken twice a day for 5 days. Menthol or eucalyptus-flavored cough drops are also good for congestion.

If it does not reduce by these medications and extends for more than 3 to 4 days, you will need to get examine by a ENT doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.