Sore lump under the skin on the arm. Is this a cyst?

my name is XXXXXXX i am a twenty year old male, smoker for about 4 years, i recently noticed a small lump under my skin, right above my elbow on my inner left arm, you are unable to notice it until you poke it, it is sore but not bothersome.

i was just wondering what it could be, my thought were possibly a cyst, but i am no MD so i am turning to you, and possibly my GP.
Posted Sun, 3 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 12 hours later

A small lump under the skin surface which is hardly visible but can be palpated and has no opening on skin surface is likely to be a lipoma which is a fat swelling and is very common and is nothing of much concern but a sure shot diagnosis is a must which is a child's play for any doctor after examining the lump and palpating it.

A lipoma is a soft swelling and moves out of fingers when palpated.
Other swelling on such sites can only be confirmed after an examinations and perhaps a biopsy.

Hope I have answered your question to your contentment.

Dr. Rohit Batra