Sore, itchy clusters appeared at top of thigh. What is causing this?

My daughter (10) has a sore looking cluster of ten or so spots appeared at the top of her thigh - they look like bites but have now formed small black dots in the centres of each spot, they are a bit itchy but not all the time...Can you tell me what it is? She has had an infection due to an ingrowing toenail and is on antibiotics for this as it got quite bad. The doctor saw the rash when it first appeared and thought it may be the infection from her toe spreading hence the antibiotics but I am not so sure.
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Rashes that are associated with itching that you describe can be due to:
(1) dermatitis- an itchy rash can result from contact with an agent or chemical that provokes an allergic response such as a new cream,lotion,soap or detergent. This rash usually forms small red ' bumps' or papules that are itchy.
(2)chicken pox- this can also result in an itchy rash- usually a person would have small water bump lesions which turn into small ulcers
(3) heat rash can cause tiny bumps or blisters on red skin, it has an itchy sensation
(4)pityriasis rosea- this starts as a small round or oval lesion , eventually other lesions are seen along the lines of the trunk,it is very itchy.
There are other causes but these are the most common.
If there has been no recent excess heat exposure then heat rash would be unlikely.
To determine the exact cause, you doctor will have to take a full history (any change in use of any chemicals/agents, any change in foods or medication, any associated swelling, any associated symptoms, the exact history of the appearance of the rash- appearance from the beginning till now
Physical examination is extremely important in dermatology and is usually the key to the diagnosis.
Most simple rashes improve with gentle skin care and avoiding irritating substances. You can help the improvement by
* Avoid scrubbing the skin.
* Use as little soap as possible. Use gentle cleansers instead.
* Avoid applying cosmetic lotions or ointments directly on the rash.
* Use warm (not hot) water for cleaning. XXXXXXX dry, don't rub.
* Eliminate any newly added cosmetics or lotions.
* Leave the affected area exposed to the air as much as possible.
* Try calamine medicated lotion.
* Hydrocortisone cream (1%) is available without a prescription and may soothe many rashes.
The rashes usually take 5-7 days to disappear.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.