Sore and dry throat, painful glands, blood mixed saliva. What could it be?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
About a month ago I got a sore throat and my glands under my jaw were sore. I notice blood in my saliva, mainly upon Awakening. I thought it might be strep. I lasted about a week and soreness subsided but I continue to have bright red saliva, mainly upon awakening. My saliva appears fairly clear during day. I snore at night and have had more than normal dried mucus in my nose that is mixed with blood from time to time. At times in middle of night. I feel what might be some mild reflux. Back of throat tends to dry out at times. It is not coming from my gums. No fever present and otherwise feeling normal.What could this be?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

Blood in the saliva, when not coming from bleeding gums or a lung infection, could be most likely due to gastroesophageal acid reflux disease or sinusitis etc.

Considering your symptoms, I think it is most probably from GERD i.e. acid reflux occurring at night causing irritation of oral mucosa and blood to appear in the saliva only in morning.

The best way to confirm would be to visit your physician or gastroenterologist who can evaluate your symptoms, order some investigations, if required (like endoscopic ultrasound) and come to the exact diagnosis and treatment.

You may try these home remedies till then.
•     Drink plenty of water and eat raw crushed garlic thrice a day.
•     You should avoid oily spicy or XXXXXXX fried foods.
•     Eat five small meals daily at regular intervals, dinner being atleast 1to 2 hrs before bedtime.
•     Take plenty of home made fresh juices and vitamin c XXXXXXX fruits like citrus fruits.
•     You may take a proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole. However, these are prescription drugs and can be taken as advised by your doctor daily.

If symptoms persist for more than a week, then please visit your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query.