Soft palate twitches, mild anxiety, in emergency room. Anxiety and stress a factor ?

Hi, I am researching why my soft palate twitches! I sometimes exp mild anxiety and I had spent the best part of a day at the emergency room trying to have this figured out to no avail. Maybe related to anxiety/stress? Any ideas?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 53 minutes later

Twitches are small, local, involuntary muscle contraction and relaxation visible under the skin arising from the spontaneous discharge of a bundle of skeletal muscle fibers. Twitches of soft palate can be due to a variety of causes, the majority of which are benign.

The presence of persistent generalized fasciculations could indicate the possibility of an endocrine or an electrolyte deficiency or generalized anxiety disorder.

The other associated conditions that also need to be ruled out is essential tremor. The tremor is usually most obvious in the hands, but may affect the arms, head, eyelids, or other muscles.

You might consult your doctor who can order a few blood tests including thyroid function tests, Serum electrolytes including Serum calcium and potassium levels, Serum B12 levels.

In case the above tests are normal further testing can be done to diagnose any underlying neurological issues.

The treatment of most of the conditions is very easy and the condition will resolve on its own. In some cases, prescription medications might be needed to stop severe symptoms.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.