Soft lump on legs. Size is the same. What could this be, advise?

When I cross my legs over one another I can feel a soft lump on the anterior XXXXXXX muscle on one of my legs. When I uncross them and the muscle is not being pushed on, it disappears. I cannot feel it if i press on my XXXXXXX with my fingers and my legs are un-crossed, only when i push the muscle from behind is when it can be felt. There is a squishy soft feel to it. What could this be? I felt it a year ago and the size is the same i believe. It is about 3/4 of an inch across.
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 58 minutes later

A soft tissue swelling beneath the skin can be a lipoma, neurofibroma etc.

In case the swelling is not paining or increasing in size and shape it is highly unlikely that it can cause any harm.

A lipoma which is most common of the lot usually doesn’t require any treatment as on removing the lesion it might again grow up.

Only if the swelling increases in size to cause discomfort in daily routine we advice an excision.

Dr. Rohit Batra
Follow-up: Soft lump on legs. Size is the same. What could this be, advise? 5 hours later
Thank you very much for your reply. Do you know why this lump would only be present when I have my leg crossed and not when it is down? When I started to research it I was worried it is a soft tissue sarcoma. Would that present differently?
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 1 hour later
Thanks for your follow up query.
As far as the swelling becoming apprecible on crossing the leg is concerned - it occurs because when our thigh and legs muscle contracts while crossing the legs, the tissue shift and may be the growth is linked to one of the anterior muscle.
It can be a biopsy can rule out the same.

A local USG can be carried out to be more sure of the lesion.

Dr.Rohit Batra