Sneezing and pain in adams apple, tender to touch. Remedy?

ENT Specialist
i sneazed and have a lot of pain in my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX very tender to touch and i keep loosing my voice
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 8 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Pain in the larynx after forceful sneezing is common,however it should subside soon without medication. If it does not, you should undergo a videolaryngoscopy initially and a GI endoscopy later. If you can share the images or video, I will be able to give you an accurate assessment of the hoarseness.

2. Loosing your voice off and on seems to be due to chronic laryngitis. The changes associated with chronic laryngitis and acid reflux are easily seen on videolaryngoscopy. Vocal cord edema may be managed by reducing reflux with medication such as proton pump inhibitors and anti-inflammatory medication including a short course of steroids.

3. It may be laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR) as opposed to GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease). Get an abdominal ultrasound to rule out a hiatus (sliding) hernia. A gut motility disorder should be ruled out.

4. What is your BMI (Body Mass Index) ? It is also possible to do an esophageal manometry study?

5. Do you have any other symptoms of acid reflux such as dryness in throat, heartburn, epigastric pain, foreign body sensation in throat, headaches, dizziness and light headed feeling may be due to gastritis. Do you have any sinus and nasal symptoms (post nasal drip)?

6. What is your current medication? Kindly let me know the results of your investigations. This will help decide medication and further treatment.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.