Snake bite, victim's complexion seems to be changing. Appropriate treatment?

Question
what is the treatment for a snake bite that was not properly care for and appears to be causing a problem for the victim,( complexion is starting to change)
How long do it takes to get an answer to a question that have been asked
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Omer 1 hour later

Sorry for late reply.

As you have said that a snake bite patient , whose complexion is changing , wound not properly taken care of , clearly indicates that the patient is going in DIC meaning because of snake venom causing XXXXXXX bleed due to damage to keep the blood in the vessels and it is leaking out.

Snakes are different like rattle snake, viper etc
Your patient requires urgent antivenom treatment to neutralize the venom.

Kindly take the patient to ER TO START THE anti-venom treatment as soon as possible

Snake bite is a matter of life and death
Initial treatment is
Relax the patient
Do not move the part that is bitten
Check the fang marks
Clean the would with soap
Do not apply tourniquet over the site of bite
Do not suck the wound
Kill the snake if possible because identification will be required for anti-venom selection ... Rattles are common in USA

I replied as fast as I could. Kindly take the patient to ER ASAP

Follow-up: Snake bite, victim's complexion seems to be changing. Appropriate treatment? 1 hour later
the incident occured about a month ago in a rural african vallage where healthe care is out of sight; and because the snake was small, the bite was treated by a neighbor with "Traditional medicine" and here we are. Sir, is there any medicatin you can recommand? please help safe my sistes's life

Answered by Dr. Omer 20 minutes later
Hello again,

I am really sorry to hear that the patient is your sister.

You should relax first cause its been a month she had a snake bite.

There is no snake in this world whose venom works after 1 month or so.

All most all the snakes venom shows their effects with in 24-48 hrs

Its said in our medical books that smaller the snake the safe is the bite.

In short her complexion change is totally not related to snake bite even remotely, so clam down.

The change in her complexion could be due to minor environmental influences which will surely subside once she is moved of such environment or there are good changes in the same.

Take care,