Smoker. Suffering from cold, cough, sinus and snoring problem. Feeling sleepy. Safe remedy?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Suffering with Sinus and has major snoring problem...Doesn't breath from Nose...and always feel low on energy..Feel Sleepy throughout the day even after a good 8 hr of sleep...Read somewhere that Snoring problem can lead to Stroke...
Suffer from Cold and Cough round the year...
I smoke 10-12 cigarettes a day and drink once in week OR ten days...
I am 97KG with 6.1height and my nasal tissues are fatty....
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 40 minutes later

Symptoms that you are describing are typical for snoring and sinus disorders.

When you breathe from mouth then you take less oxygen, you feel weak, sleepy and lethargic. You may sleep enough (8-10h), but it does not mean that your sleep is quality and relaxing for you. You may also have sleep apnea. It means that you stop breathing for few times during the sleep. This makes you feel tired in the morning.

It can be very problematic but it cannot lead to stroke. What can lead to stroke definitely is your smoking and weight. These are also risk factors for snoring, including alcohol intake, certain medications Sleep posture (Sleeping flat on your back causes the flesh of your throat to relax and block the airway).

Therefore, my tips for treatment are:
Lose weight.
Quit smoking.

Avoid alcohol, sleeping pills, and sedatives, especially before bedtime, because they relax the muscles in the throat and interfere with breathing.

Establish regular sleep patterns.

Clear nasal passages. You can do it naturally with a Neti pot or try nasal decongestants or nasal strips to help you breathe more easily while sleeping.
Keep bedroom air moist with a humidifier.
Elevating your head four inches may ease breathing
Avoid caffeine and heavy meals within two hours of going to bed.
Sleep on your side. Avoid sleeping on your back, as gravity makes it more likely for your tongue and soft tissues to drop and obstruct your airway.

If this will not be helpful then surgical procedure should be considered.
Wish you good health.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.
Follow-up: Smoker. Suffering from cold, cough, sinus and snoring problem. Feeling sleepy. Safe remedy? 45 minutes later
Is there any permanent cure for this problem OR regular medication is the only way apart from Surgical procedure???

Are surgical procedure successful in such cases??

What all can be done to ensure proper oxygen to brain in this case??

Are there any specific exercises/physical activities to reduce fat around the nasal Tissues which causes blockage???

Are nasal drops and nasal decongestants are same thing???

Is it safe of use nasal drops/decongestants 3-4 times a day???

Another problem which is making breathe all the more difficult that I am allergic bronchitis..and feel very suffocated at crowded places/trains etc...

Is allergic bronchitis any way connected to Sinus???
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 10 hours later
1. It depends is your snoring caused by anatomical abnormality of nasal cavity and mouth or it is caused by inflammatory reactions of nasal mucosa.
First cause can be found with nasal endoscopy at ORL. If this is found then usual the only cure is surgical procedure...
The latter is caused by sinusitis, allergies and upper respiratory tract infections. It can be treated by medicines. Decongentants, Antibiotics, antiinflamatory and antihistaminic drugs are used.

2. As I said, it is successful in first case.
3. While you re sleeping you cant do nothing, when you are awake then there are some breathing exercise which can be found on the internet. When you feel out of energy you need to breath deeply and raise your shoulders on each breath. Try to get fresh air in your room and avoid smoky places.

4.No specific exercise, it is treated by drugs as i said.
5. This is the same
6. Dont use it more then 4 times per day
7. Yes, this makes it all more difficult. You need to have ventolin spray or similar sprays to use it when you have attack.
8. All your problems are connected... Allergic bronchitis, sinusitis, asthma, snoring, nasal congestion and headache usually come together unfortunately. It is all caused by allergy mechanism. Some people have genetic predisposition for such diseases. Actually many people have it. You need to give everything to treat it and avoid risk factors and take care of your health in your hands.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help