Smell of mold when I inhale through nose. Any ideas what this is?

Hello, I have a problem , when I breath in threw my nose , I have a smell of mold or mildew when I inhale or blow my nose, I know it’s not in my home(smell) because i can go to other places and still smell it even at work. Any ideas on what this is or caused by and any kind of treatment? Since I have this smell "feeling" I cannot smell anything even Vicks VapoRub and I cannot taste any food…
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 11 minutes later

There are not many medical conditions that would cause the symptoms you describe. As you may know, molds, mildew fungi and yeast are all in the same family. I must wonder therefore if you have a fungal sinus infection. Any underlying medical conditions that could make your immune system less robust than normal, taking chronic antibiotics or taking nasal steroids would increase your risk for a fungal sinus infection. A person with a fungal sinus infection might or might not experience nasal congestion. However, lack of taste or smell would be consistent with a sinus infection. Therefore, it is wise to visit your family doctor to see whether this is a possibility.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.

Best regards,
Dr. Schwartz