Small soft lump on back, close to the spine, no pain on compression. Causes?

I have a small lump on the middle of my back close to my spine that is not painful, but I am aware that it is there because I can feel it in my back. There is no pain on compression and it is a soft lump. Any ideas?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 10 hours later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

After going through your medical history, I would like to make the following comments:

1. A painless lump on the back can be due to a lot of causes ranging from lipoma to benign cysts to a possibility of malignancy considering the history of malignancy in your family.

2. You need to get the lump evaluated by a Surgeon.

3. In absence of any other complaints, it seems to be a benign lump, but still getting it evaluated and clinically examined is highly recommended.

4. After detailed examination, the surgeon might advise you to undergo FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) of the lump, if there is a doubt regarding the diagnosis.

I hope I have answered your query. Please do let me know if there are any further queries.
Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.

Wish you a good health.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra