Small hemangioma on lumbar vertebra with lower back cramps and leg pain. Does this require surgery?

Neurologist
Question
I have a small haemangioma on my l3 vertebral body and have lower back pain and left leg pain. Could this possibly require surgery
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the query

Regarding the lower back pain and left leg pain, I feel possibly could be due to degenerative spondylosis of the lumbar vertebra with slip disc causing irritation or compression of the spinal nerves exiting the vertebra. Rarely conditions like infection and tumor can cause similar problems.

However hemangioma on third lumbar vertebra does not cause any lower back pain or radiculopathy and does not require any treatment.

Intermittent urinary incontinence and upper motor neuron signs in the upper and lower limbs would indicate possibility of high cervical cord compression.

Surgery would be required if the MRI scan of the spine shows evidence for root or Neurologist.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Small hemangioma on lumbar vertebra with lower back cramps and leg pain. Does this require surgery? 49 minutes later
I forgot to mention I also have minimal desiccation in the lower lumber disc and minor disc bulges present L2/L3 but no neural compressive lesion is seen. Mild facet joint arthorpathy in lumbar spine is evident.
Could this be causing the pain and what treatment options are recommended?

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 22 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the query

As I mentioned earlier degenerative spondylosis will have all the features seen on the MRI as mentioned by you. As there is no neural compression, surgery is not required at this point of time. Back strengthening exercises with mild pain killers (SOS) would be the ideal treatment option in you.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist