Small child suffering from itch in penis, dark grey spots on shaft, near the tip, uncircumcised. Treatment for itching?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My son who is five year old was complaining of itching in his penis. Now upon careful examination I am finding a dark grey spot on the shaft of penis (Very near to the tip). I am worried. He has an uncircumcised penis
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 25 minutes later
Your son could be having symptoms of a fungal infection which are itching redness or greyish/whitish patch on the genitalia and occasionally whitish discharge.
But there is always a possibility of superadded bacterial infection which can only be confirmed by thorough physical examination by his pediatrician/dermatologist and if necessary certain tests like woods lamp examination of the spot to confirm fungal infection or occasionally a urine routine test and complete blood counts to rule out bacterial infection.
Alternatively the doctor may start a particular treatment like topical (local) antifungal ointments and dusting powder containing ketoconazole on the basis of probable clinical diagnosis and watch for response before doing any tests.Sometimes itching may require oral antihistamines like cetrizine or chlorpheniramine as per your doctors advise.
So I would advise you consult his pediatrician/skin specialist i.e. dermatologist for confirming diagnosis and starting appropriate treatment.
Please do not panic as this may occur in children due to inadequate genital hygiene and warm
moist conditions.It will resolve with treatment.
Try to keep the area clean and dry and open whenever feasible.
Hope I have answered your query.
Please accept the answer in case you have no further queries.