Small child having fractured right clavicle, fever, cold, running nose, cough. Wearing sling. Will fractured bone set on its own?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My 2yr 10 months old daughter XXXXXXX had fractured her right clavicle or collor bone on 4:30 am Thursday 15/12/11. the doctor has advice her to wear a hospital made sling (digit 8 shaped). Yesterday she has caught sever fever (approx 103 degree) cold, running nose & continuous cough, we are giving her crocin & cough syrup for viral , whereas doctor said she doesn't need antibiotic.
My query is , 1) fractured bone will automatically come to its original place without any physical setting ?
2) do we require to give any antibiotic for cold & cough.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Answer 1.Yes, the fracture clavicle usually heals without any operative or closed reduction maneuvers and it will be back to normal with the present treatment i.e. 8 shaped sling. Especially in children the healing is fast and in 6 weeks it can be seen on repeat x-ray.

Answer 2. Viral cough cold may resolve on its own in a week, but if symptoms worsen even after 3 days or high grade (103) fever persists or her CBC i.e. complete blood counts are suggestive of bacterial infection then your doctor might start appropriate antibiotic.

At present you may wait and watch and if after a couple of days symptoms persist then visit or discuss with your doctor regarding antibiotics.

Till then, keep your child well hydrated, you may try steam inhalations and saline nose drops and throat gargles for better relief.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.