Small child, frequent vomiting episodes, once every hour, now sleeping. Emergency condition ?

My 4 yr old cant stop puking onve every hour.
He is now sleeping so should I wake him and go to ER?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Child Health
Follow-up: Small child, frequent vomiting episodes, once every hour, now sleeping. Emergency condition ? 7 minutes later
ou can call me at 0000 feel free please
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later

To treat the vomiting first of all we need to know the cause. Most of the times, vomiting is caused by gastroenteritis, stomach flu, food poisoning, peptic ulcer disease, GERD, etc. Foods that are hard to digest (such as too many sweets) and undercooked (still partially raw) meat or fish can also cause vomiting.

Other causes that need to be ruled out include central causes, medicines, etc.

You can take some general measures like-

1. You can start by giving him soft, bland food: toast, bananas, crackers, plain rice, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, baked chicken without skin, etc.

2.Replace lost fluid and salts: Give him broth, soup, fruit juices, soft fruits, or vegetables. Give him clear soups, clear sodas or juice mixed with water to help prevent dehydration. You should avoid giving plain water and dark sodas.

3.Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Cold drinks - stick to warm tea or water as long as symptoms persist, Raw fruits and vegetables, fried & greasy food and fast food, spicy food, caffeine,etc.

If the symptoms are not relieved by these general measures, medical treatment is needed after proper examination by your pediatrician.

If the child is irritable, not eating anything, has altered sensorium, has signs of dehydration, has been vomiting longer than 8 hours or is vomiting with great force, has blood in his stools or vomit or has not urinated in last 8 hours then you need to rush him to ER.

Do not self-medicate him as it can be XXXXXXX

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Wishing your son a good health.