Slipped leg. Started feeling pain in hip, knee and down knee. What is wrong?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
hurt legI fell. Did the splits. When I got up I thought I sprained ankle. Next day my whole leg hurt. It was the weekend. I went into urgent care. Prescribed pain killers. No xray or other diagnostics. Next couple days, no pain in ankle. Pain in hip and sometimes on my knee and down leg. Went to chiropractor. No change. I can put my full weight on it. I seem to have full range of motion. Nothing I do makes the pain worse or better. It is just always there. Pain is more of an ache. Hurts to sit, stand, walk or lie down. Constant pain. What is wrong?
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 minutes later

It might be soft tissue injury, ligament injury or fracture.

If proper immobilization and rest is not given to the part after injury, healing of ligament tear delayed and this is the cause of constant pain.

I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination once you get the earliest appointment. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance to rule out any fracture.

In the interim, take anti-inflammatory drug like Tab Motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid putting weight and rest well. It just takes more time for soft tissue injuries.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Regards.

Follow-up: Slipped leg. Started feeling pain in hip, knee and down knee. What is wrong? 1 hour later
if it is a soft tissue injury, how long does it usually take to heal and how long should I avoid putting weight on it? if I'm careful, should I notice an improvement in a week or two or is this something that might take several months to heal? I have a physical job and I need to prepare my boss till I can get into see a doctor
would u recommend crutches even though I can walk on it with no additional pain?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 15 hours later
Thanks for writing in again.

Soft tissue injury usually takes 10-15 days to heal. So you have to avoid putting weight on it for this period.

If you are careful and do follow the advice , you will see an improvement in a week or two.

I would recommend you to use crutches while walking to avoid putting weight on the affected leg

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Slipped leg. Started feeling pain in hip, knee and down knee. What is wrong? 11 days later
I went to a doc. no xray. he checked range of motion and pushed on certain places of my hip to check for fractures. he didn't think there was any fractures. he wrote a script for sterioids that I took for a week. he said I should notice improvement after that week. I have not. same pain. constant ache that gets worse with use. could this be something severe? perhaps need surgery? I have another appt next Tues. I would like ur advise on the matter though.

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again.

If on examination by your doctor, range of movement is normal and there is no any tenderness, then chances of fracture are unlikely.

There might be chances of muscle pull or ligament injury.

Steroid started by your doctor might be for inflammation control, but its prolong use is not advisable.

If pain is continuous, you might need a MRI for ligament injury.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns

Regards.