Skin under eyes itchy, inflamed, red and peeling. Have scratched it. What can I do to speed up healing?

Irritated under eye skin

A few days ago the skin under one of my eyes was quite itchy and over the course of the day I rubbed/scratched it repeatedly. It wasn't until that night when I looked in the mirror that I noticed the area had become red, inflamed and it was peeling a little. It also looks wrinkled. I am now worried that I've caused permanent damage to this delicate skin. SInce then I've been moisturising and avoiding touching the area. However there is very little improvement. The only changes have been that it isn't itchy anymore and the redness while still there is now a little darker in colour, it's like a dark circle on one side of my face. I am so worried that I've caused lasting damage to my skin. Will this heal? Is there anything I can do to speed up the process? How long before my skin returns to normal?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 6 hours later

Thank you for posting the query,

You have provided with good information regarding your skin problem and it is a very good description. I appreciate it.

With the description I figure out that you have developed a dermatitis under neath your one eye. And hence its peeling and is red .

It is good that you have started using a moisturizer there. Along with this to speed up the process you can use a mild steroid cream topically. In combination you can also use a antibiotic cream like gentamycin cream.

But since these are not OTC (Over the counter) drugs, I would request you to consult a dermatologist and get it prescribed.

To take care of the itching you can take any oral anti-histaminic tablet like cetrizine.

Usually such dermatitis is superficial and does not lead to any permanent XXXXXXX or scar. To see complete recovery it may take 7-10 days.

Hope I have answered your query.
Should you have additional concern regarding the same, I would be happy to address it.

Dr.Bharat chawda