Skin turned black after popping a blister on the knee. Cure?

My son popped a blister on his knee and now it has turned black?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Regarding the blister on your son's knee, I'd like to know a few more details. How long was it present before it was popped? Was there an injury that precipitated the blister? Does he otherwise feel well in general? Does he have any medical conditions?

This is most likely not anything worrisome and may represent his immune response to the injured skin. What usually will happen is over a 7 to 10 day period the skin will heal from below and a scabbed area will slowly fall off.

In order to more accurately address your concern I'd like to request that you send a few pictures of the area to my attention at the following email address YYYY@YYYY

I thank you again for the query and I hope you will find this to be an informative exchange.

I await your reply and pictures.

Dr. Galamaga