Ask a Dentist   »  

Skin hanging under tongue, affected when swallowing, painful. Concerned

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Under my tongue, there is a small tiny piece of skin hanging. It's affected when I chew or swallow, especially a liquid as the liquid is going to touch it. With food, I can go to the other side of my mouth and as long as it doesn't touch the "dangling flesh" it's okay. I tried to pull it off, as it seems to be hanging on there by a hair. But it was excruciating. This has me very concerned and I don't know where to begin in getting it taken care of.
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 28 minutes later

First, I would like to know the duration i.e.: since when have you noticed the piece of skin hanging under your tongue, did it develop after any particular incident and also the size and color of the same?

The pain you experienced while trying to pull it off is due to the nerves and vessels as the piece is attached to the underlying mucosa.

Assuming it is just a harmless piece of flesh or loose mucosa but pains or irritates when it gets stretched, then you need to go to a dentist preferably an oral surgeon and get it excised. It is a minor procedure done under local anesthesia with no side effects. Sometimes a biopsy of the excised tissue may be advised.

I would recommend you to visit your dentist for a clinical examination and accurate conclusion.

I would be happy to answer any further questions you have.