Ask a Urologist   »  

Skin around penis getting darker. Should I go for medical check up?

Jan 2013

I have noticed that the skin around my penis is getting darker not black but like greyish black looks like pencil lead I tried to wash it off and it didn't go away what could it be is it serious. should i go to the ER?
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 20 minutes later

1) This could be due to excessive trauma , friction, bacterial infection, fungal infection or dermatitis/ eczema. Exact cause could be defined only by examination.

2) Do you have any other associated symptoms of itching, rash , erosions on skin and pain.

3) It is not advisable to scrub the area too hard as this would irritate the skin. Keep the areas clean, maintain good personal hygiene, wear lose comfortable cotton clothes. Apply calamine lotion at the sites.

4) If you are regularly practicing masturbation then avoid it.

5) You should consult with dermatologist for getting rapid recovery.

Let me know if you have any other query.

Best regards,

Dr. Mayank Bhargava