Sinus infection, prescribed az PAC, dull headache, scared of mennigites. Please advice.

I have a sinus infetion and I went to urgent care the dOc just looked in my ear and nose and gave me a z PAC...I Don't have a regular doctor..and as far as urgent care goes it took the doc less than 30 seconds to prescibe a medication...I don't want to take the antibiotics bout I'm scared I'm gonna get mennigites ...I've had a dull headache on top of the head for 5 days.what should I do...
Posted Tue, 12 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for posting the query.
Antibiotics are required in treatment of acute sinusitis in only 1% of cases.
Sinusitis can be cured by simply following some home care methods like

1. Promoting drainage of mucus by Drinking plenty of water and hydrating beverages such as hot tea.
Inhale steam two to four times per day by leaning over a bowl of hot water (not while the water is on the stove) or using a steam vaporizer. Inhale the steam for about 10 minutes. Taking a hot, steamy shower may also work. Mentholated preparations, such as Vicks Vapo-Rub, can be added to the water or vaporizer to aid in opening the passageways.
2. Thinning the mucus by  Expectorants. These are drugs that help expel mucus from the lungs and respiratory passages. They help thin mucous secretions, enhancing drainage from the sinuses. The most common is guaifenesin (contained in Robitussin and Mucinex, for example).

3. Relieve pain: Pain medication such as ibuprofen can reduce pain and inflammation. These medications help to open the airways by reducing swelling. 

4. Using nasal saline or decongestants for few days.

You do these for 2 weeks and You shall be all right with these measures however if you feel that your symptoms are worsening,then you may have to contact an ENT specialist for proper investigation and treatment.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.