Similarities , differences between Starling's law and Laplace's law with respect to heart failure

what are the similarities between starling's law and Laplace's law in relation to heart failure. and waht are their differences
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in Heart Failure
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 4 hours later

Let me make it as easy as possible for you.

1. Starling's law of the heart: It simply means that more the volume of blood in the ventricle at the end of relaxation, more volume of blood be pumped out from that ventricle.

2. Laplace's law: The tension in a wall is inversely related to the thickness of the wall. This is more of physics. It simply means that if the tension in a tube is more, the thickness of the wall is less. This applies to any hollow organ in human body.

Definitely, both the laws are different; there is no similarity in them.

The exact medical definitions of these can be got from any standard textbooks that you refer.

Hope I have been of some help.

Feel free to write back. It is my pleasure to help you.

Follow-up: Similarities , differences between Starling's law and Laplace's law with respect to heart failure 2 hours later
Thank you very much but can you please tell me any differences you can find in both these laws?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 13 minutes later

Yes, there are many differences in both these laws.

1. Laplace law is a law used in physics. It is not used in medicine much. It deals with hollow tubes, the tension within it, the diameter and the overall wall thickness.
Starling's law is exclusively used in the human heart to determine the strength (or force) with which our heart can contract and pump blood to various parts.

2. Laplace law is used rarely in cases like studies of colonic cancer where in we need to know the dimensions of the colon.

3. Starling’s law deals with volume and stretch of heart muscles while Laplace law talks about tension, pressure and diameter.

4. The mathematical equations for both are different. It may be too complicated for you to understand.

I hope you are understanding my explanations to you.

All the best.

Follow-up: Similarities , differences between Starling's law and Laplace's law with respect to heart failure 16 minutes later
That has been very helpful and i am very greatful but i have got a question that asks me to compare both laws and i believe that they wantme to find any similarities in both these laws. please help me even if its the way they are used clinicaly...e.t.c
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later

Comparing two laws does not necessarily mean to find the similarities in them. May be, they want you to depict both diagrammatically and separately.

The only similarity I can think of between both of them is that both these laws deal with the volume, force of contraction and their relation to the tension in the wall. I mean the heart muscle wall and the colonic wall here.

I have tried my best to explain you. Hope this helps.