Shoulder pain when waking a long distance. Underlying cause?

Over 10 years ago, I noticed pain (slight discomfort) in the area just below my shoulders (front of my body) when I was walking a long distance. I have noticed it several times since then. It goes away when I stop. More recently, it is happening more often. I'm out of town in about 6,000 foot elevation, and it was very apparent walking up a flight of stairs. I've had two stress echocardiograms, and they show nothing. One was performed sat May.
What are your thoughts? I'm 66 years old.
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 11 minutes later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
It doesn't look like a cardiac problem. As it is associated with movement of hand it looks like a muscular problem. Considering your age and diabetes status there is high chance of degenerative changes in muscles. It can be tendinosis or minor tears. Another possibility is that cervical spodylosis which is causing compression or nerve supplying the affected area.
I will suggest please consult board certified orthopaedician for detailed clinical examination. Then only further line of management can be decided. Don't waste money in cardiac evaluation because it has very very different presentation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern please let me know.