Shoulder, neck, back pain. suffering from PMS or perimenopause. history of depression, anxiety. Treatment ?

Question
CAN PMS OR PERIMENOPUASE CAUSE SHOULDER AND NECK PAIN ON THE LEFT SIDE AND LOWER LEFT BACK PAIN (ALMOST FEELS LIKE MY KIDNEYS ARE HURTING) THANKS! 46 YRS OLD, 5 ' 4"M 166LB. MEDICAL HISTORY: CLINICAL DEPRESSION, OCD, AND ANXIETY. I TAKE MEDICATION FOR THOSE. I'M VERY STRESSED AT WORK AND AT HOME.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 30 minutes later

Perimenopuase can cause bone pain in general due to lack of calcium in the body. However,pain restricted to a certain part of the body like shoulder or neck is unlikely.

You should get an x XXXXXXX of the cervical spine, shoulder joint to rule out spondylosis.

Also renal pain is very distinctive and and can be diagnosed on examination.

You should get examined by a doctor to confirm the possibility of renal pain. In which case, xray KUB/ultrasound will be the next step to rule out pathology.

Keep taking the calcium. Avoid using pillows.

Also try to sleep on a firm mattress.

Hot fomentation on the neck and shoulder should help.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I would be available.

Follow-up: Shoulder, neck, back pain. suffering from PMS or perimenopause. history of depression, anxiety. Treatment ? 3 hours later
I've just had a full physical and blood tests this past September. Wouldn't renal pain have been picked up then?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 21 hours later
Hello again,

Thank you for writing back.

A renal pain should have been picked up during your physical if you had the same complaints at that time.

If you had this pain at that time also, and your doctor did not feel it to be renal pain, then it is unlikely to be related to the kidneys.

Try keeping ice packs over the area where you have pain, about two to three times day for about 10 or 15 minutes.

Cold compress decreases any inflammation you might have and will reduce the pain.

If the pain is due to any kidney related issue, you might consider getting an ultrasound examination of the kidneys to look for any calculi/stones in the kidneys along with a urine exam.