Should we call a doctor if my father had transient ischemic attack? Checking BP regularly.

My father suffered a TIA on thursday. We've been checking his BP regularly. Today's readings: 7:40am 126/73. 11:50am 143/81. 4:30pm 169/90. 11:50pm 150/95.

Should we call his doctor?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later

I would suggest that your father be evaluated and investigated by his treating physician as soon as possible. TIAs (Transient Ischemic Attacks) are precursors of stroke and with appropriate management with anti-platelet drugs like aspirin; stroke can be a prevented in a number of cases.

Further, since his blood pressure is not under control, an evaluation becomes necessary as an increased blood pressure is also a risk factor for a stroke.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.