Should i get a sperm analysis since my wife hasn't conceived?

Question
Dear Dr.
Medical History:Age 27,Height-5.7 Ft,Weight-90 Kg
Spouse-Age -24
Undergone hydrocele operation one year back(Injury)
Facts and query
My wife got conceived after 8 months after my marriage and 2 months from then she got aborted(Missed Abortion)...when i performed seman analysis before my marriage my count was around 45,volume was 1.5 and liquification time was more than an hour(i left it aside since she got conceived subsequently)...now after abortion it is 6 month since she is not conceived yet,should i have to perform another seman analysis to test the parameters?Kindly provide me with supplements which would help to develop count,volume and liquification time?
Kindly Advice
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 46 minutes later

The normal sperm count is over 15 million sperms, volumes between 1.0 mL and 6.5 mL are normal and regarding the liquefaction time, it normally takes less than 20 minutes for the sample to change from a thick gel into a liquid. An abnormally long liquefaction (more than 30 minutes at 37 24°C) time may indicate an infection, however the criteria is different for NICE. It states that a liquefaction time within 60 minutes is regarded as within normal ranges.

So your sperm count seems to be normal. Moreover it has been just 6 months after abortion. So both of you need a thorough evaluation. Common causes of infertility in female are endometriosis, ovulation problem, pelvic inflammatory disease, poor egg quality, polycystic ovarian syndrome, damaged or blocked fallopian tubes etc.

In male reason for infertility are related to sperm (azoospermia, oligospermia), problem with sperm delivery, due to sexual dysfunction, and an obstruction etc. hence complete work up has to be done to know the underlying cause. You should get a repeat complete sperm count done.

Eat a diet that includes whole, unprocessed foods. The best foods for health in general, and also for sperm count problems, are whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seed. Avoid alcohol, smoking, take more of proteins and fresh vegetables. Minerals like zinc & selenium, amino acids like l-carnitine, and antioxidants like Vitamin C and Vitamin E are very crucial to sperm health.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Should i get a sperm analysis since my wife hasn't conceived? 24 minutes later
Dear Dr,

Thanks for your reply.

Two things to be clarified

1 is there any supplementary for reducing the liquification time?If So Name please
2 Would Hydrocele surgery have any impact on the sperm parameters?
3 Can you prescribe me a tablet for improving the sperm count which wouldnt affect me otherside even there in no issues with that?

Waiting for repsonse

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 16 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

1) A long liquefaction time is an indicator of an infection. There are no allopathic medicines to shorten the liquefaction time except for identifying the infection by semen culture and treating the infection. Some herbal medicines are proposed to decrease the liquefaction time but should be used after consulting an ayurvedic specialist.

2) There is no known connection between hydrocele surgery and sperm parameters.

3) For improving the sperm count, as advised earlier, take the above mentioned foods and supplements. Zinc is a well-known 'alternative' remedy, that certainly won't do you any harm. Also lose weight (if you are overweight), don't wear tight underclothes and don't sit for a long time in hot places, like car seats.

There are certain fertility drugs like clomiphene and injection HCG which are often used in females but are used in males also. In men, both clomiphene and hMG can cause temporary blurred vision, breast enlargement and tenderness, and weight gain. In rare cases, clomiphene can cause liver damage. So use it under a doctor's guidance.

Follow-up: Should i get a sperm analysis since my wife hasn't conceived? 5 hours later
Dear Dr.

Thanks a lot for you valuable input in this regard.

i would definitely follow the food habits proposed by you and with regard to the supplements "Should i have to go and ask the medical shop to give Vitamin C ,Vitamin E & Zinc tablets"?

Sorry for the repeated trouble.Thanks

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 7 hours later

Thanks for writing back. You can take multivitamin-multimineral tablets from the pharmacist which contain all multivitamins and multiminerals like vitamin C, E and zinc. You can also buy Capsule A to Z after consulting your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. Take care and regards.