Should i be concerned with high Alkaline Phosphatase and low Vitamin D levels of my son's report

General Surgeon
Hi Recently we went for health check-up for my son XXXX (11 years old ) and we found some abnormality in his blood tests report : ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE: 676.2 ( this looks to me very high) 25-OH VITAMIN D (TOTAL): 12.37 TESTOSTERONE: 262.66 Earlier (in 2008, when he was 6 yrs) he had rickets problem at time also his ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE value used to be very high. Can you please suggest me, what should I do. I am attaching his reports for your reference. Please help me Regards, XXXX
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Raised enzyme level is due to Vitamin D Deficiency Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Ms XXXXXXX First and foremost after looking at the reports I would like to reassure you that there is no much cause for concern. Being a Parent myself and a Pediatric Surgeon, I understand your concern and apprehensions. Majority of the test are normal 1. Raised Alkaline Phosphatase Level: 2. Low Vitamin D level The above two things are likely to be due to 1. Around the age of 10 to 14 years there is growth spurt: This growth spurt along with relative Vitamin deficiency causes elevation Of Alkaline Phosphatase. Alkaline Phosphatase enzyme is a marker of actively growing Oesteoblast( Growing bone cells), elevation indicates actively growing bone cells. 2. Vitamin D deficiency usually occurs at the time of bone growth spurt and less exposure to sunlight. There is no cause for concern. Dietary and Nutritional supplement with Vitamin D will be helpful. Taking Syrup Calcimax( Containing Calcium and Vitamin D ) will be helpful. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
Follow-up: Should i be concerned with high Alkaline Phosphatase and low Vitamin D levels of my son's report 37 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX Thank you very much for your quick reply. You rightly mentioned concern of a Parent. Can you please also help me with the dose of Syrup Calcimax. Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Either Syrup or tablet can be used Detailed Answer: Hi Dear Ms XXXXXXX You can either use Syrup or tablet. 1. TABLET SHELCAL D 250 once a day will be helpful or Syrup Calcimax 5 ml twice a day. 2. Seven seas cod liver oil capsule taken once a day will also be helpful. 3. Daily exercise at Sunrise : it will expose your child to sunlight. Early morning exposure to sunlight helps in synthesis of Vitamin D in the skin. Exercise will also promote well being. Dear Madam, do not hesitate to write to me directly if you need any advise or assistance. Wishing you and your family a very happy and healthy life. Take care Best Regards Deepak