Should i be concerned over xrays of my broken leg showing two calf bones that are not aligned?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am in the 6th week after my injury.The xrays of my broken leg showed that on the outside of the calf two bones are not quite aligned. My surgeon said that is not a problem and it is not necessary for them to be exactly aligned. Any thoughts?
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to HCM Detailed Answer: If you could attach xray images or exact finding of first and last xray, it would be easier for me to interpret this. It is true that bones dont need to be completely aligned for adequate healing. There are surgical protocols which show us can bone fracture be treated surgically or conservatively. for leg fracture it depends on fragment angulation,patients age, general health and some other factors. Even larger bone fragment disproportions which looks serious to you, can heal very well. For healing,it is most important that fragments are in contact and that there was good immobilization. This will prevent functional problems and bad healing. Of course,if you have pain and functional difficulties,surgery should be performed,but you should wait for 10-12 weeks when bone should heal 80%. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards