Should i be concerned if finger is numb after being cut from knife?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Hello, I cut/stabbed the palm of my hand with a steak knife (trying to core out an avocado). The entry wound is 1/2 inch or less, and it is no longer bleeding. I have movement in all fingers. The wound is between the thumb and the pointer finger 1 1/2 inches below the pointer finger on the palm. What is concerning is that I have no feeling in the pointer finger 360 degrees top to bottom, actually down into the palm from the pointer finger. Should I go to the ER? Should I make an appointment with a specialist? Should I wait? Thank you for your quick response, XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: I suggest you go to the ER for examination. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. I think it is most likely that you have a nerve injury that has affected your sensory nerves to your first finger. If this is the case then it is possible that this will not recover. From your description, the wound appears to be quite deep. I suggest you go to the ER to have the wound examined. Although you say you have full movement in your fingers it would be best to have a doctor look at your hand. Any signs of infection or need for surgery can be identified. This would be the safest course of action. I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate too contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA
Follow-up: Should i be concerned if finger is numb after being cut from knife? 25 minutes later
What would they do at the ER? Would I be better off scheduling with an orthopedic surgeon/ hand surgeon, and skipping the ER (waiting for no real answers or treatment)?
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Ideally, yes, a hand specialist. Detailed Answer: Hi, It depends how long you would have to wait to see a hand specialist. I would suggest you need to see someone in the next 24 hours and be alert to signs of infection developing. A hand specialist would be preferable but if this involves a significant wait then there is likely to be expertise in the ER. My thought is that there may be nothing that can be done to reverse the nerve damage. However, I cannot be sure without the benefit of examining the wound. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger