Should I worry about a fleshy lump left after an injury?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
When I fell from a horse at the age of 12, the horse kicked or stood on my tibia, which was very swollen and bruises for a couple of weeks afterwards. It was also quite painful to walk on. My parents brought me to the ER where the doctor on duty decided that I did not need an x-ray. The bruising and swelling went down shortly afterwards.
I am now 48, so this happened 36 years ago! However, that tibia has always felt different to the other--I wonder if I chipped it or even sustained a fracture? And if i did, should I be worried about bone cancer or osteoporosis or some other degenerative disease? There has also been a small fleshy lump there ever since. I do a lot of sport and exercise, and the leg has never given me any pain or trouble.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 8 hours later

Though a clinical examination is highly suggestive before concluding, I don't think you should have the above stated problems with your tibia due to the injury sustained 12 years back. However, its worth going for an X-ray, if you are in doubt.

An old unrecognized fracture can cause a deformity. It needn't be treated, lest symptomatic.

Degenerative disease usually affect the joints and not the shaft of the bone as such.
Bone cancer is not caused by an injury, however old the injury may be.
Osteoporosis is a generalized disorder and causes easy fractures and bone pain.

I hope I have answered your query. For follow up queries, please write back.

Thank you.
Follow-up: Should I worry about a fleshy lump left after an injury? 47 minutes later
Thank you very much. I was a bit worried, especially about the fleshy lump. What might it be? I've had it for 35 years, and suddenly began to worry that it might turn cancerous!
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 24 minutes later

Thanks for writing back, in faith.

Do you have similar lumps elsewhere in the body?
How big is the lump?
Do you have any tingling sensation or pain while pressing on it?
How long after the injury did you notice it?

If the lump has been there since the fall, 12 years back, you needn't worry.

However, if the lump is increasing in size or is getting harder or painful, its advisable to visit an Orthopedician.

If its only a cosmetic issue, it can be easily excised as a day care procedure.

Kindly reply back to these questions and I will be able to ward off your worries.

I will be available for further follow up.

Thank you.
Follow-up: Should I worry about a fleshy lump left after an injury? 1 hour later
Thanks so much for your prompt and kind reply. I feel a lot better now!

I have no lumps anywhere else on my body.
The lump on my tibia is approx 2 or 3 cm in size, is quite soft and fleshy, and is painless-it doesn't tingle or anything. I can hardly see it when I wake in the mornings.
I have had it for at least 32 years --I was 12 years old when I sustained the injury, and I am 48 now.

I haven't noticed any growth, or change in texture, in it.

thanks again
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 12 minutes later
Hi again.

Seeing the size of the lump and its consistency, I don't think its harmful. And you don't seem to have any problems with it.
So, leave the lump alone XXXXXXX

Get back to me if at all you have any problems with it.

Hope, I have solved your problem.

Wish you good health.

Thank you.