Should I take medicine for mild hepatomegaly with grade 1 fatty infiltration or will it be cured itself?

General Surgeon
Hi Doctor.

Is mild hepatomegaly with grade 1 fatty infiltration curable by self. Or does it need medication to be surely taken care of? I have consume alcohol but not on regular basis. Advice me as what to do
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 29 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Fatty liver is a reversible condition. So it is the right time to start working as fatty liver can lead to liver cirrhosis (which is not reversible) and liver failure.
Liver gets fatty because of alcohol intake (doesnt have to be a lot, regular intake of small dosages can result with fatty liver as well) or by fat accumulation in the liver due to increased fat level in the blood. So you do not have to be obese to have fatty liver. Bad diet can cause such condition as well. You can imagine that liver has to deal with every part of food eaten by you.
So i suggest you to have cholesterol and triglycerides levels checked and if increased, you should change your diet to less fatty and vegetables XXXXXXX
The other problem that seems to bothering you is your stomach. Your symptoms sound like peptic ulcer symptoms. So it is advisable for you to have upper GI endoscopy performed as peptic ulcer or Helicobacter Pylori infection or both can lead to perforation or stomach cancer.
Moreover, Helicobacter Pylori eradication is necessary to treat peptic ulcer.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.