Should I take any medication to control my blood pressure?

Question
last week under stress my BP shot up to 120/160 after which i have been monitoring daily and it is in the range of 87/110 to 98/126 (last 5 days reading in evening 30 mins after dinner) age 36 years Male Mumbai should i consider taking any medicine to control BP
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Consider other health parameters as well Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX I have read your query. It is an expected finding that blood pressure raises with increased stress levels. Post the stress, it seems like your blood pressure was returning to normal. Before taking a decision on starting medicines for BP control, you must consider other health parameters as well. Please let me know these details: - Are you overweight/obese? - Are you diabetic? - What is your abdominal or waist circumference? - Your Body Mass Index (BMI)? - Have you got your lipid profile test done? Let me know the values of total cholesterol, HDL and LDL. -Are you physically inactive? are you leading a sedentary lifestyle? - How are your eating habits? There are several options to look into before starting a patient on BP medicines. Let me know the answers to these queries, I would be glad to help you. Regards,

Follow-up: Should I take any medication to control my blood pressure? 10 minutes later
Are you overweight/obese?- weight 74 kgs height 5ft 7 inches Are you diabetic?- No What is your abdominal or waist circumference?- 34 (waist) Your Body Mass Index (BMI)?-25.5 Have you got your lipid profile test done? Let me know the values of total cholesterol-207, HDL 48 and LDL.-118.6 VLDL 40.4 triglcerides 202 Are you physically inactive? are you leading a sedentary lifestyle?- walk for 2kms daily 5 days a week at night 30 mins after dinner How are your eating habits? eggitarian mostly vegetarian diet

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: perfect lifestyle - little changes required Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for the details. I am glad to see the details from your end. Your lifestyle is perfect, and so is your overall health condition. In my opinion, you do not need medicines for BP now. Only change required would be to increase your physical activity to up to 8 kms a day. you can do this slowly and gradually. Repeat the tests and all the above mentioned measures after 6 months. If you notice a worsening change, only then we can consider BP medicines. Wish you good health. Take care!