Should I shave groin hair before going for colonoscopy?

Rheumatologist
Question
Is shaving of hair in the groin region required for getting a colonoscopy done ?
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your issue I will tell you that it is not mandatory to shave your groin hair for the procedure . But if you want to do it then its for your personal hygeine .

So that remains your personal choice .

Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Should I shave groin hair before going for colonoscopy? 8 minutes later
Thank you doctor for the prompt response. The question was bothering me because my father-in-law (80 yrs) just went through a colonoscopy and subsequent Barium test and was shaved off as part of the preparatory. Even he was perplexed why it was being done. Should he be more cautious next time when he goes for another round of Barium test, maybe after a month or so ?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir,

Some hospitals follow this shaving as a part of their protocol as it reduces the chance of contamination . Shaving is generally done by the hospital staff itself .

But there should be no issue with it , even if they do it , it remains a regular thing for them . I will suggest you not to worry regading this .

Dr. Shruti