Should I opt differential diagnosis to avoid colostomy for severe constipation?

I have Been constipated for 6 weeks. Normal colonoscopy , blood and urine tests. Today after one week with no stool I had a relatively small stool laced with a white substance. It was first stool after colonoscopy. Differential diagnosis? I am 64 and very anxious. Afraid of potential colostomy if I can't get regular again.
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please follow the esuggestions below.. Detailed Answer: Hi, I read your medical history and could suggest as following: The white substance noticed in your stool after the colonoscopy was mucus. It is normal to notice it after colonoscopy. If the colonoscopy was normal, then, no fear for colon malign problems. You are using Lipitor which can contribute to constipation. In addition, there are other factors leading or aggravating constipation, including: - diet (eat more fiber rich foods like vegetables and fruits) - water intake (increase it 2-3 L per day) - lifestyle habits (increase your physical activity) - avoid stress as it possible You are also referring about prostate cancer surgery. Could you please send in the results of your recent check up for the prostate? It can help assist you further. If the constipation is due to your diet and lifestyle, I strongly advise to apply the right changes. You can see the improvement 3 months after applying changes. Looking forward to have the requested data! Thank you! Dr.Klerida