Should I consult a ENT specialist or general physician for cough?

My wife has been having cough for the last few weeks. We went to see a general practitioner and was given a cough syrup and suggested we did a CBC with ESR blood test a and a chest XRAY. We thought, in the beginning, that we will only take the medicine and see what happens. Even after taking 2 files of the medicine, it did not improve. So we took the tests. The chest xray is normal. The blood test has 2 things which are abnormal. RDW reads as 16.5 and ERYTHROCYTE SEDIMENTATION RATE is 36. My question is what do we do now? Her coughing is getting worse by the day. Do we see a ENT Specialist or go for the general practitioner/
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Pulmonologist Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. The increased ESR indicates that sh harbors an infection which needs a course of better antibiotics to get cured. I suggest you to consult a Pulmonologist who after examining her can put her on suitable antibiotics to treat her. Also do give her steam inhalations which will provide some relief. Regards.