Should I be worried about dark line across toe nail and bump on thumb nail?

General Surgeon
Hello, I have a dark line across my toe nail (which looks like a bruise) and also a slight bump on my thumb nail. I have no other symptoms and am feeling perfectly fine. Should I be worried?
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: No reason to be worried. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. The dark line under your toe nail is nothing bore than a blood collection (bruise) under the nail. This is very often caused by accidental pulling of this nail or by some other trauma in this area (like too tight shoe). Luckily there is nothing to worry about it and no reason to do anything with it. Just note that it can take even a month for this bruise to disappear. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: Should I be worried about dark line across toe nail and bump on thumb nail? 4 minutes later
Thank you for answering my question. How about the slight bump on my thumbnail? I have attached a picture of the bump on my thumb nail (photo 3.png). I apologies if it's not too clear. But should I be worried about the bump? It is only my right thumbnail.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Bum is also nothing concerning. Detailed Answer: The bump is also nothing unusual. It may appear due to the same factors as the bruise. So both seems to be associated. Regard
Follow-up: Should I be worried about dark line across toe nail and bump on thumb nail? 2 hours later
Okay, thank you. I just wanted to be sure since I did some research online and read about nail clubbing and the possibilities of what it could mean. So from your opinion, my nails (both on my toe and my thumb) is nothing for me to be concerned about?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Nail clubbing can indicate heart or lungs disease. And as both diseases are systemic, all nails usually get clubbed. So single or two nails shape change are for sure not nails clubbing. If its about your thumb nail, sometimes in such way fungal infection can manifest. So this is the only thing you may have checked if this really disturb you. But generally your nails are just fine and no reason to be concerned. Regards.