Should I be on a statin drug like Zocor?

Question: Should I be on a statin drug like Zocor?

My Total Cholesterol is 222
My LDL is 140
My triglycerides are 188
My HDL is :44
My Cholesterol/HDL ratio is 5.0
My Blood Pressure is 120/80 on average.
I am 5 feet 10 and weight 220lbs.
I cannot lose weight because I am on zoloft which makes it really hard to lose any weight.
Family History:
My father had bypass surgery at 73 years old
My Mother had a mild heart attack at age 65.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

The total cholesterol at 222 is borderline high, LDL and triglycerides are also borderline high,HDL at 44 is normal ( not on a higher side), being a male, cholesterol/HDL ratio of 5.0 puts you on an average risk for atherosclerosis.
Although your B.P. is normal, you have a strong positive family history also.
If I were your doctor I would have chosen statins first out of the list of cholesterol medications after checking your liver enzymes
Lifestyle modifications have equal importance along with medicines.
To increase your HDL you can start exercising regularly, stop alcohol and smoking.
To decrease the LDL levels-
1. Reduce saturated fat intake
2.     Maintain good body composition
3.     Increase dietary fiber
4.     Increase aerobic exercise
Finally it is best to consult your doctor to help you in choosing the best cholesterol lowering agent.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: Should I be on a statin drug like Zocor? 51 minutes later
My doctor did write me a script for Zocor 20mg to be taken once a day.
I just have a question regarding side effects:

After taking just one pill I noticed a sharp pain in my left tricep if it is pressed. Can this be a zocor side effect after one pill?

Also: Is sexual side effects likely on this dosage of zoloft?

I just need these two questions answered and I will accept.

Thank You
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Answering your queries one by one-

1. Yes, muscle pain is seen in 1-2% of patients taking Zocor. If, while taking Zocor, you develop muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness (especially if you also have a fever or feel ill), inform your healthcare provider and ask him to look for other options to reduce cholesterol.

2.Zoloft 125mg causes the side effects like decreased interest in sex, decrease in sexual ability (ejaculation delay),etc but are very rare and usually these side effects are not shown in first 4-6 weeks of treatment.

Sincerely hope it will help.

Wishing you an early recovery.