Should I be concerned for short term exposure to asbestos in pregnancy?

I recently found out that we have disturbed asbestos in our garage(it is peeling). I even touched some before I knew what it was. I'm currently pregnant and very conceded about the exposure. What are the risks to me, my husband and our unborn baby? I'm mostly concerned about our baby.
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 8 hours later
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You do not have any symptoms at present. A short term exposure to asbestos in pregnancy should not worry you. Please avoid any further exposure.

2. Asbestos exposure is XXXXXXX for humans in high doses and over long periods of time. However, pregnant women should not worry about their unborn child, because no studies conducted on the matter could show how the asbestos fibers cross the placenta and reach the baby.

3. Only long term exposure to asbestos has been linked with lung diseases and malignancy.

Thus you need not worry at present.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist