Should I be concerned about low body temperature?

I have low body temperature for at least the past ten years. I heard recently from my son ,who has the same thing, that this is not necessarily a good thing even though I have always been told that it was not anythin to be concerned about. My temperature is usually between 97.2 and 97.5 all the time. What is your opinion Doctor?
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. Normal body temperature in a healthy person is a range that fluctuates throughout the day. Body temperature can vary as much as 1.0° to 2.0°F (0.5°C to 1.0°C) and is lowest in the morning (2-4 AM) while resting and is warmest in the afternoon (4-6 PM) while active. Up to 5% of the population has a body temperature that falls outside of the normal range. Body temperature variation is the result of an individual’s metabolic rate. Slower equals cooler and faster means higher normal body temperature. Metabolic rate is determined by factors such as genetic makeup, lifestyle, age, and environment. Different sites equal different temperatures: Rectal temperature is typically higher than Core Core is typically higher than oral Oral is typically higher than axillary Axillary Oral temperature in the range 97.6 - 99.6 is acceptable. Rectal temperature in the range 98.6 - 100.6 is acceptable. Axillary temperature in the range 95.3 - 98.4 is acceptable. Ear temperature in the range 96.6 - 99.7 is acceptable. Core temperature in the range 98.2 - 100.2 is acceptable. Hope your query is answered. Do write back in case of doubts. Dr.A.Rao Kavoor