Should I be concerned about horizontal raised ridges on my nail?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
I have 2 horizontal raised ridges on my nail? It's no where else on my other nails just the one. Should I be concerned, WWW.WWWW.WW here is a pic
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: nail condition is totally normal Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic. I can understand your concern for the horizontal raised ridges on your nail. After analyzing the picture ( WWW.WWWW.WW I reassure you that your nail condition is totally normal and is not related to any disease state or internal problem. To tell you medically- These arise through temporary interference with nail formation and become visible on the nail surface some weeks after the pre- cipitant. The distance of the groove from the nail fold is related to the time since the onset of growth disturbance. The depth and width of the groove may be related to the severity and duration of disturbance, respectively. In yourself these are limited to one nail and are very superficial and almost 3-4 mm from the nail root which implies a very trivial nature of interference in nail formation almost 1-2 months period. There is no need to take any medication for the same. You just relax and do not bother for the simple and normal condition.I Quite often see this kind of condition in many people and the only part to be taken care of is simple reassurance. After about 3-4 months this condition will subside by its own after the renewal of nail. I hope these informations will help. I will be glad to reply any further queries. With regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology

Follow-up: Should I be concerned about horizontal raised ridges on my nail? 5 hours later
Thank you so much, was anxious. I kept analysing other nails and on my thumbs seems in the middle it independts a little bit in th emiddle. And its on both. Is that ok?

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Do not worry its normal architecture of nail Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your follow up. As I said previously, the nature and architecture of ridges tells us the type of problem. IF it is deep enough with furrowing involving most or all of then nails then it is considered to be abnormal. In your case it is an skewed nature of furrow not involving all nails with very superficial nature- which indicates towards minor temporary interference with nail formation. So just relax for the simple thing and do not worry. I hope these informations will help. I will be glad to reply any further queries or if not then can close the query and rate the answer. With regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology

Thank you thank you thank you

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Your appreciation is source of inspiration Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX You are most welcome. Your appreciation is the continuous source of inspiration to work best in the field of medical sciences. I will be glad to reply any further queries or if not then can close the query and rate the answer. In future if you have any further queries or other skin queries then can contact directly on: bit.ly/drsanjaykanodia May God bless you. With regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology