Ask a Urologist   »  

Should Bactrim be taken for UTI or is Cipro and Flagyl needed?

Hello, I am a 56 year old married female with good weight 125 lbs. 5'7" and like to be physically active. I have a happy marriage with a very regular sex life with my husband of 30 years. On January 19 2014 I went to a Velocity care center and was diagnosed with a common UTI. I was prescribed 7 days of DS Bactrim, which I took as prescribed. After the course of therapy I had 2 more recurrences of pain etc. and did 2 different short courses of the DS bactrim, so this lead me back to my Doctors office for another urinalysis which showed a presence of white cells, no mention of blood and bacteria as was shown on the 19 of XXXXXXX Now I am on 10 Days of the DS bactrim 2 times daily, I am 6 days into this therapy and still feel the sting. I drink gallons of water, take probiotic, don't drink soda or hardly any alcohol, eat plenty of fruits vegetables , sleep, and exercise. I still have intercourse with my husband at this point I'm discussed! Now I am to continue the DS bactrim til day 10 than take one half pill daily for 40 days. I am wondering it this is the correct med? Do I. Need Cipro. Flagle ? Difulcan? Or a trip to the Gyn or urologist. Wow thanks. S
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on HCM. Well looking into your query I will like to tell you that looking into your problem a urine c/s is the most appropriate test to see what organism is leading to it and then to which antibiotic is the organism sensitive . Also A USG abdomen is highly advisable to see if their is any stones or other pathology that is leading to all this . Till then I will suggest you to continue with the treatment your doctor has advised plus diabetes also needs to be ruled out as it can also result in prolonged infection . You need to discuss this with your treating doctor . Take care. Dr. Shruti