Shivering, feeling cold, cold hands and foot, normally body stays warm. Advise?

why is my 4 year old shivering?
He just woke up in the middle of the night shivering!
He dose not have temperature...
Normally his body is warm, but now that he shivering and feeling cold his hands and foot are cold.
We have covered him with blankets... what should we do? please advise.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Shivering at night with no fever in a child can be an absolutely normal finding. Small children do have lower next 24 hours in which case it will be indicative of an infection.
Another cause might be a recent viral infection which your child might have suffered in the recent past. The shivering can be the result of weakness arising out of such an infection.
Shivering and a very low body temp can indicate an under-active thyroid - this is the gland that regulates our metabolism.You need to get his thyroid levels checked.

You can discuss these with his pediatrician on your next visit.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.