Shiny skin with hair loss. What could be the reason?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question
My legs are very shiny with hair loss. My palliative nurse said nothing about this
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Shiny skin with hair loss is seen in atrophic conditions of skin.
It is also a XXXXXXX associated with myxedema.

In order to know the exact cause of these features, you need to visit your doctor for clinical examination and relevant investigations.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: Shiny skin with hair loss. What could be the reason? 21 hours later
I have had three growths under my tongue two of which ffattened. I lost my gums overnight and many lines of ulcers could you tell me what this is

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
Hello and welcome again,

Presence of flattened growths under the tongue can be anything out of the multiple causes, like hyperplasia, benign or malignant growths.

To explain in simple words, it can be an overgrowth of the oral tissue. The origin, type of the growth can be determined by a clinical examination and relevant investigations.

Presence of ulceration on the gums can be apthous ulcers, ulcers due to trauma, etc.

A clinical examination is needed.

Consult your GP.

Dr Shailja P Wahal