Sharp pain on the right side of abdomen. Pelvic ultrasound showed cyst in ovary. What can be done?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Thank you for talking to me. About six weeks ago, I had a sharp pain on the right side of my abdomen, during sex. I went for a pelvic ultrasound, I have a small cyst on my left ovary. Nothing on my right ovary. Everything else was clear. Since then I’ve had several sharp pains on my right side doing various activities, cleaning, lifting, sometimes just walking. The pain even woke me up in the middle of the night last night when I turned in my sleep. The pain in approximately an inch and a half from my hip bone. What type of doctor should I visit? A gastroenterologist, a GP, or one of those walk-in doctor places? Also, what type of tests might they run to further determine a diagnosis?
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be a soft tissue strain.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Your symptoms of sharp pains during various activities may be due to Muscle pull or a ligaments strain.

Moist heat fomentation over the affected area 3-4 times per day may help in relaxing the taut muscles or ligaments. Also light massaging of the painful area with a painkiller gel may help. Take an analgesic medication like Advil or Aleve for 1 or 2 days.

If your symptoms are not resolving you need to consult your family physician to evaluate the cause for your pain.

Hope I have addressed your query. I welcome any more clarifications