Sharp pain in lower abdominal pain. Hurts while moving or coughing. Required treatment?

Question
I am have moderate-sharp pain in the mid to lower quadrant of my abdomen. It hurts more when I move, cough or when pressure is applied. It just started today. (Yes I have already had a BM, did not help.) No fever
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 41 minutes later
hi and thanks for the query,
The sharp pain without nay associated symptoms, exacerbated by pressure is more likely to be a mechanical pain. Absence of diarrhoea, fever, intense pain at rest if reassuring. Temporal colics, due to forceful intestinal contractions could cause these pain and are usually temporary.
I suggest you stay calm, take much water, eat lots of vegetables and fruits and observe.
If the pain increases in intensity, becomes permanent, you start failing to stool normally or having abdominal distension or vomiting, you then go to the emergency room. for now , I suggest you follow the suggested measures. Generally, adults from 50 years and above are advised to screen for colon cancer. This is certainly not the case now but its worthwhile considering to visit the gastroenterologist some time for a colonoscopy.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Sharp pain in lower abdominal pain. Hurts while moving or coughing. Required treatment? 21 minutes later
I think I forgot to mention that there is pain at rest, it's moderate as well. The pain is on the right side too. I am having trouble standing straight up and feel pressure upon taking a breath.

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 8 hours later
Hi and thanks for your query,
Pain on the right lower abdomen at rest, aggravated by inspiration deserves exclusion of appendicitis. This is the commonest cause of right lower quadrant pain.
An abdominal ultrasound, coupled with a complete blood count, markers of inflammation and a complete physical examination is usually sufficient to make a clear cut diagnosis. Other conditions like ileocecal junction inflammation (Bauhinitis), renal colics could present in the same manner.
However, consulting your water, foods XXXXXXX in vegetables and fibre.
Will be glad answering further questions if any,
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.