Sharp pain in left side of chest, shortness of breath. Should I be worried?

Over the last two weeks when laying on my left side my chest hurts with sharp pains and I have shortness of breath. Due to financial matter I have not seen a Doc. Is this something that I need to see a Doc for immediately or can I wait a couple of weeks?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 8 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

As per your brief history, I do not think you need to see a physician immediately. It looks like you are suffering from gastroesophageal reflux disease or peptic ulcer disease. However, in order to help you better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a. Does the pain increase after meals? Does the pain increase after breathing in?
b. Does the pain worsen after a heavy meal?
c. Is this the only time you have breathlessness or do you have breathlessness after exertion as well?
d. Do you smoke?

Till then, I would suggest the following:
a. Have small meals at regular intervals
b. Avoid caffeine, alcohol and cigarettes ( if you consume any)
c. Have an early dinner
d. Have Tablet Prevacid OTC 20 mg once a day before meals

Awaiting your reply.
Hope this helps.