Sharp pain at bottom of ribcage. Tightens with bending. Having mild swelling. What is it?

Hi. I woke up 48 hours ago with a sharp pain in left back, at the bottom of ribcage. When I bend forward from waist it tightens up and I see stars for that 3 seconds. I am assuming it is a pinched nerve. This morning I woke up and I have mild swelling on bottom left front ribcage and it is very sensitive to touch. I have had no injury or impact. The swelling is visible. Please advise.
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It would be very important to get the swelling examined. The characteristics (size, colour, aspect, consistency) shall give a good guide on the possible causes of these symptoms.

It would be more interesting again searching for similar small eruptions in that particular area. Any associated signs like fever?

A chest X XXXXXXX might be a useful triage exam. However, I suggest you get consulted by your bacterial infection, or in some cases, could be an inflammatory reaction to an external agent.

You might take simple analgesics if pain gets so severe till you XXXXXXX your doctor. Acetaminophen could be useful for now.

Thanks and best regards,
Dr Luchuo, MD.